A 24-year-old Arizona woman has been arrested and charged for her alleged involvement in injuring an infant. The baby is said to have suffered a serious burn injury after his babysitter put his arm in scalding water. The personal injury suffered was apparently so severe that the child reportedly required surgery as part of his medical treatment.
According to reports, the infant's mother received a message from the babysitter on the evening of Feb. 11, saying that the child was having an allergic reaction to something. The 3-month-old boy's mother left work immediately to get the child and take him to the hospital. He was transferred to a burn unit where his right hand and forearm were treated.
Police were contacted while the child was at the hospital. During their interview with the babysitter, they claim that she gave several different accounts as to how the baby was burned. However, it is believed that she held the child's arm under a hot water dispenser -- which releases water at 154 degrees -- in order to clean his arm. She has been charged with child abuse.
Leaving one's child in the care of another individual is difficult for any parent, but numerous Arizona parents do it everyday so that they can provide for their families. If a child is hurt by his or her caregiver, parents may have legal recourse. In this case, the infant's mother may pursue a personal injury claim against the babysitter. If successful, financial relief may be awarded by a civil court.
Source: abc15.com, "PD: Babysitter charged after baby burned in Mesa home", Joe Enea, Feb. 19, 2016